Friday, March 16, 2012

DIY Pom-Poms

I am so excited about this project because it didn't cost me a dime, it was not difficult, I was able to re-use old tissue paper, and it turned out so cute! I have always loved hanging pom-poms and have seen them in decorating magazines more and more these days. If you don't know what I am talking about, see below.



So, when I came upon this awesome post in pinterest (http://kellyhicksdesign.com/)  that showed how to make them I was thrilled! I had a ton of tissue paper from my baby shower that I knew I would never be able to use all of so I pulled it out of the cubbard and gave it a try. I am going to show you step by step of how I did it as I think I added some good ideas.

For medium pom poms fold about 6 pieces of tissue paper in half like so.


In order to keep all of the sheets together while I folded it in an accordian style I used paperclips on both sides.


I folded the tissue paper accordian style.


I used a thin piece of ribbon to tie the middle of the accordianed tissue paper stack.


I rounded both edges but cutting them (You may have to cut in several layers as they are a little think)


Fan open each side and start separating out the layes. Pull aggresively, but be careful not to rip the paper.


Play with it a little bit to make sure it looks even and round all over.


I used a paperclip hooked to the ribbon in order to be able to hang it up :)


Done! Wasn't that fun?


I am going to make a bunch more of these to hang in Levi's room :) I will post pictures when I finish that project.

Have a nice day folks!

Amy

4 comments:

  1. I love it! Thanks for the tutorial! I also love these cute Pom poms. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I've always loved these and wondered how to make them! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! and free too! Can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely idea! I commented on a few of your posts from a while back. You haven't updated since the baby is born, which makes total sense! You are probably pretty tired. I hope to see little Levi on here soon. Congratulations Amy!

    ReplyDelete